[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MAGNETIZER PLANS?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:44:02 -0400
From: "Alan G. Pope" <agpope-at-phonetech-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: MAGNETIZER PLANS?

In connection with TC work, I'm interested in building a magnetizer for
magnetizing custom shaped objects. The one I want to build would be a
high-power job with a laminated frame maybe about 10 X 12 inches or so.
Maybe even bigger.

Anyone who has worked very much with magnets knows how hard (and expensive)
it is to obtain customized magnet shapes, strengths, and sizes for R & D work.

I've only seen one of these, and that was many years ago, but I envision it
as having a large bank of really big capacitors for energy storage. A
capacitor charging circuit, a high-current knife switch for discharge, and
a gap in the frame, maybe 8 inches wide, in which to place the object to be
magnetized.

I would really appreciate any info I can get on a good design for the
above, as well as tips on inexpensive parts sources, especially the large,
laminated frame. Also sources for various magnetizable materials. Rare
earths, and etc.

Thanks,

Alan G. Pope