[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Thyratron pair (was DC Drive)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 00:01:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Thyratron pair (was DC Drive)

<SNIP>

>Very true, and of course there is the issue of supply voltage that
>the thyratrons can switch as well. I am wondering whether there is
>anything particularly special about that circuit apart from the fact
>that one can control conduction time fairly precisely without being
>influenced by the output discharge? Is there any benefit in applying
>an extremely narrow pulse to Lp/Cp? After what interval relative to
>half the ring period (PI.SQRT(LC)) did switching the thyratron off
>give the best output in experiments you've conducted? Did you use
>this configuration or did you dump a charged Cp into Lp? I'm sorry if
>I'm asking you to repeat yourself. So many topics have gone by with
>time.
>
>Malcolm
>
>Malcolm,

I just removed my good ole tungsten air gap and slaped in the H2 Thyratron.
I noted specifically that it was a spark gap and so I used it as such.
Thus, I dumped the common Cp Into the good ole Lp through a Hydrogen gas
arc.  The 5C22 can easily switch 16,000 volts at up to 600 amps peak.  I
have a "spook works" (EG&G) ceramic job that is rated at 24,000 volts and
1000 peak amps.  The data sheet says they want it to run ideally at 380
degrees C in normal operation!!!!!

The short on times (1-5us) are a major bummer and limitation of the device,
but it really allows a good degree of control.

Richard Hull, TCBOR