[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Newbie question

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 14:54:23 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Newbie question

> 2.  Has anyone built a HV switching supply for a Tesla?

A number, if not most, commercial HV power supplies now use switchers,
as the size of the transformer core (and the corresponding weight) is
much reduced for a given power.  Also, if you are using a voltage
multipler chain, a higher driving frequency means you can use smaller
filter/storage caps in the multiplier stack, a significant cost factor
if you have a 20 stage or more stack. Smaller caps also means smaller
stored energy in the supply, which means it is safer in case of an
accidental flashover.

Finally, using a switcher makes it easier to do current limiting or
cutback.

I can't comment on your choice of core, although for only 15 kHz, I
should think that a laminated iron core would be a better choice than
ferrite or powdered iron.