[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: An Interesting Problem

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:37:11 -0400
From: "George W. Ensley" <erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: An Interesting Problem

Malcolm,

One of my coils did this a lot. It used a static gap that were a bit too
wide, but it made for a little extra spark length. Using a bump to force
breakout it would run very smoothly 10-15 minutes at a time. Without the
bump it just wouldn't stay lit. But with a few clicks of the power switch it
would run in fits and starts.

Without the breakout bump there was a lot of extra power being dissipated in
the gaps. This made them heat up and get dirty fast. I assumed that there
were some changes in gap geometry when they got hot.

My guess is that when things were running smoothly the cap voltage was
higher as a result of system resonance. When things were not running
smoothly system resonance was disrupted. With the primary dissipating the
secondary energy my poor neon was probably called on to bring the cap
voltage back from well below 0 volts and just didn't have time to reach
firing voltage. That theorie only accounts for 1/2 cycle or so but that was
enough for the wide gaps to finish the job.

At 04:06 PM 10/13/97 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]