[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- Re: Get Your Oudin Coil Plans Here

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 17:49:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re:  RE- Re: Get Your Oudin Coil Plans Here

"        The '01-A is rather different and will not work in Strong's
        application.   (The '01-A can still be found here and there
        today.  If you happen upon a genuine '01 you likely could
        take the next week or so off work.  It it's in working con-
        dition, take a month off.  If it's brand new and in the
        original carton, start to plan an early retirement! ( -- They's
        ain' makin' no  mo' o' dem kind, sonny [not even in Red
        China - or the Czech Republic] )"

	Wrong!  The (UV201) has a clear glass bulb with red phosphorous
getter (hence the modern name "golden tubes").  The UV/UX201A's had
a magnesium getter which apparently could generate enough X-rays
for photography, according to Stong's article.  If you read it further
you will notice that he had "a local glassblower" make up a number
of tubes which consisted of a simple cathode (no filament) with an
evaporated magnesium coating to serve as the anode.  By the way,
those tubes are not particularly expensive as such things go.
Antique Electronic Supply in Arizona sells both new and used
antique tubes at prices which are, for todays market dominated
by collectors, not too exhorbitant.  I've never bought any from
them, as I have a reasonable personal stock of both the UV201"ss
UV201's and UV/UX201A's.  Have never tried to generate X-rays
with them, but think I will give it a go one of these days.
Ed