[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC drive

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 08:20:21 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: DC drive

Hello Larry,
             I have been examining your scheme and have a comment..

> From: Larry Robertson <LWRobertson-at-classic.msn-dot-com>
> To: Tesla Builders <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: DC drive
>
> Greg and all ...
>
>     The only way to view this is with
> a Monospaced font.
>
>            ________     ________
>   ________|        |   |        |________ +
>           | Diode  |___| RF     |       ___
>           | Bridge |   | Filter |       ___ 2uF storage cap
>   15 kV   |        |   |        |        |
>    AC     |        |   |        |        |
>   ________|        |___|        |--------- -
>           |________|   |________|
>

> + __________________
>       |             *
>       |    ----*    *    *--------        0.05 resonance cap
> - ---------         |             |------| |------
>       |    ---* *--------* *------                |
>       |             |                            Primary
>       |_______ *    *    *--------|       0.05    |
<snip>

     Your 2uF reservoir cap must also be a pulse-type low ESR cap
or the scheme is off. It is effectively a part of the tank circuit.
     You can expect peak ringing well in excess of the supply voltages
and probably approaching 4xVsupply IMO.
     The potential for leaving caps charged after power is switched
off is a real hazard IMO.

Best of luck,
Malcolm