[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Input/Output Power

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 20:43:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rscopper-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Input/Output Power

To the measurement experts:

I put a current shunt in-line at the line to see if I could measure input
power.  First I measured 250VAC on my fluke for input voltage.  The current
shunt is 50mv=20A.  I used the fluke on the mV range and fired up the coil.
 The shunt is inside the garage and the coil is in the driveway about 15feet
away.

The fluke measured 165mv!  This equates to over 60 amps at 250VAC.  I only
have 30 amp breakers on this line.  Is the reading wrong, or is the breaker
too slow, or not good for this application????

I'm not using any current limitting device inline, and there are not any
magnetic shunts in the transformer, but it was used as is for the CO2 laser
it came off of.

To B. Pool and R. Hull....would a magnifier set-up be better for this
transformer?  The specs are on my web site :
http://members.aol-dot-com/rscopper/index.htm

I can only seem to get about 5 to 6 foot max sparks out of this one.

One other issue I'm pondering...I have a 4800V 10KW pole pig now, but to
current limit it to about 5KW, I need 12.5ohms inline at 250VAC.  This will
reduce the output voltage to a point where my rotary spark gap won't fire.
 Is there any hope for this transformer, or should I go looking for a higher
voltage one???  If I don't use any current limitting device, it blows the
breaker right away.

Something else I found...4 - 190uF 4000V caps that were part of the laser
power supply.  These are not PCB filled, but are about 12inx12inx4in in size.
 The capacitance is too high for any of my current coils, but could they be
used as a director for the output sparks??? They are rated at 1500Joules
each.

Any ideas???

Scott C.