[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: R.I.P. one 14kV pole pig!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 12:23:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: R.I.P. one 14kV pole pig!

- snip -

<<
 I've posted some shots of the interior of this pig at the following
 address.  There are also some recent pictures of the coil, new rotary gap,
 etc.

 http://www.foundrygroup-dot-com/cbrush/temp

 So has this ever happened to anyone else here?  Yes this pig should have
 had a safety gap and should not have been subjected to such abuse, but
 should it have failed?  I am wondering if it could have had an internal
 weakness, or if the same thing would have happened to any 14.4kV pig in
 that situation.  I was only getting 6-7 foot streamers, but then again that
 kind of voltage is way beyond the transformer's BIL rating.  Lastly, I was
 using some fairly long RG213 to connect the pig to the tank (grounded to
 the RF ground at the tank end).  Is the jury still out as to whether this
 can be detrimental or not?   Any thoughts would be welcome.

 Thanks for reading this long message, and for any replies!

 Charles Brush

Charles,

Sorry to hear about the demise of your pig.   I have not heard of any others
failing.

Nice pictures.  Our coils are very similar except your primary looks to be
wound at a steeper angle than mine.  When I used to run mine in the basement,
I did have aluminum flashing (grounded of course) covering the tank circuit.
 When I moved it outside, I built a roll around cart with the rotary and
capacitor mounted under the primary.  This keeps it safe and out of the way.
 A little harder to work on however.  I have had strikes down into the
primary, bypassing the strike rail.  This always fired the safety gaps across
the pig but never hurt anything.

I have a new design to try out to fix the downward strikes - once I get the
damn thing running again.  I tested this idea on my small 3" coil and it
works well.  I have a 5 x 40" toroid mounted on the secondary.  On top of
this I place a cylinder 18" tall and maybe 24" in diameter made of aluminum
flashing rivited together at the ends.  On top of this sits a 5 x 33" toroid.
 All the discharges should leave from the top toroid and not be able to or
want to go down toward the primary.  I'll let you know how this works,
someday soon I hope.

Ed Sonderman