[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sonderman's continuing saga

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 11:02:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Sonderman's continuing saga

<<
 If your secondary is OK, one thing that might have been altered quite
 drastically in the rewiring process is your tune. I can't think of a
 single other reason why your system is performing so poorly. Unless
 you have formed a shorted turn in close proximity with the primary,
 the strap shouldn't affect the system noticeably.

 ?????????????????????
 Malcolm

Malcolm,

Thanks.  I do believe it is in tune.  Last week when it was powered up, I had
the 40" toroid on it and a wire laying on the toroid and a ground rod maybe 3
feet away.  As I mentioned, the safety gap across the cap would fire at about
50% of full variac power.  I actually used the safety gap firing to tune the
coil by plotting how far the variac could be opened up at various tap
settings on the primary, using 1/4 turn increments.  The best tune using this
method also corresponded to the longest and hottest sparks.  I am sure it is
in tune.  Best tune is 11.75 turns on the primary.  The best tune with the
older configuration was 12.75 turns, which was also at higher power.

Ed Sonderman