[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Twin

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 08:09:47 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Tesla Twin

Rick,
      If the system is wired correctly, winding direction doesn't
matter.....

> From: Rick Holland <rickh-at-ghg-dot-net>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Tesla Twin
>
> Tesla List wrote:
>
> > I must have been asleep when I wrote this one. I plan to direct connect
> > the driven secondary base direct to the undriven secondary base. I do
> > not plan to use a ground connection on either base. I believe that the
> > undriven secondary will act as a perfect counterpoise to the driven
> > secondary.
> >
> > Again ...thanks for any observations
> >
> > Awake in Detroit
> >
> > Skip
>
> --
> This sounds like the classic half wave coil (I think that's what it's
> called) where the primary is in the center of the secondary and there is
> no ground connection. I gather you plan to have the two secondaries
> separated by a short distance. This would require that the two are wound
> in the same direction so that they will be out of phase with each other
> and their voltages will add. Having them connected at the base is
> electrically equivalent to putting them together bottom to bottom.

Not in the twin system it's not. The base of one resonator has current
flowing in one direction (say in as some sort of polarity
description), and the other has current flowing "out" simultaneously.
     Don't forget that the classic 1/2-wave coil has coupling between
its halves. That coupling doesn't exist when the resonators are
separate. Here is how to wire it.....

        o o                      o o
       o   o                    o   o
        o o                      o o
         O                        O
         O                        O -
         O                        O O-----  to cap, gap etc.
         O Ls2                Ls1 O O------
       + |                        | +     Lp
         --------------------------

and here is what's happening as a wave representation....

      *
        *
          *
           *  resonator 1
            *
            *  reference point  (single resonator ground)
            *
             *
              *    resonator 2
                *
                  *

C'mon guys - Tesla actually drew wave diagrams like this in the CSN.
If you want to see why winding direction doesn't matter, replace each
resonator with a longwire.

Malcolm