[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Synchronous Motors (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 12:34:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Synchronous Motors

<<
>Awhile back, Ed Phillips indicated that some of the older Teletype
> motors were actually synchronous motors. I've just confirmed this at the
> latest Hamfest, where I found a 3600 RPM, 1/12 HP, synchronous capacitor
> motor for only $5.00. It's marked as Teletype part number 159739, and is
>rated at 115 VAC at 2.7A. The seller indicated that it had been removed
> from an ASR-33 that he had dismantled for parts.

> Physically the motor is about 6" long by 3.5" diameter, appears to have
> a 5/16" diameter shaft, comes with a phase-shifting capacitor, and IS
> truly synchronous. When powered from a variac under increasing voltage,
> it will suddenly spin up, and at about 75 volts will "lock in" to
> synchronous operation. The lock is very pronounced, and once locked-in,
> varying the input voltage has little effect.

> Thanks, Ed, for the tip!

> -- Bert H --

Bert, Ed, All,

By coincidence, I also picked up a 3600 rpm Teletype sync motor
at my last hamfest.  This one is about 3 1/4" dia, by 4" long without
counting the shaft.  The staft protrudes from both ends and is about
3/4" long at one end and 1" long at the other end.  This one is 115v,
at 1.6A.  It doesn't seem to state the HP, but it seems to lock up
strongly.  This one is part # 182241.  Price was $1, at a "in the
middle of nowhere" hamfest.

So I second the *thanks Ed, for the tip*, motion.   If I remember
correctly Ed mentioned that some of the Teletype motors were
1/2 HP?

John Freau