[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Twin Configurations

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 19:27:53 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Tesla Twin Configurations

Hello all,
           I thought I should reply to this immediately.....

> [(4)Single Primary / Secondary UNGROUNDED, EXTRA COIL] In
this > arrangement one secondary is electromagnetically coupled to
the > primary, and the other is not. The two secondaries are directly
> connected to one another. The EXTRA coil is base driven by the base
> current of the first secondary. The problem here is that the base
> currents developed rely totally on the counterpoise action of the two
> coils. Because there is no ground reference, the tendency to arc from
> the base of the secondary to the primary will be tremendous. This is
> the arrangement that Skip is contemplating. Probably contemplating a
> vertical orientation of the secondaries. I don't think it is capable
> of the kind of base currents that you can get with a grounded system.
> It is finicky, and when you approach either of the coils it causes an
> imbalance in the circuit. Somewhat hazardous because it is
> ungrounded, but will be seeking ground when any external object
> approaches.
>
> [(5)Single Primary / Secondary Grounded, EXTRA COIL, also GROUNDED]
> This is actually a form of Free Resonator. Richard Hull shows Alex
> investigating this arrangement in one of his tapes. Investigations of
> this eventually led to full-blown magnifier experiments. Malcolm
> Watts recently discussed a special coil he built and experimented
> with. He ran it both in mode (4) and mode (5). I believe he found
> mode (4) gave greater arcs between secondaries, but was more finicky
> in operation. (Probably due to ground influences). Malcolm found that
> arc length was smaller with mode (5). I believe this is because
> ground was absorbing some of the base current, so less was available
> to drive the extra coil.Malcolm Watt's Twin Coil was a multiple layer
> coil with a core, more akin to some of the early iron core high
> frequency coils invented by Tesla before he invented the air core
> Tesla coil. Maybe Malcolm can enlighten us as to the details of his
> experiments as they pertain to this discussion of twin coils.

I ran twin resonators connected at the base. No cores - all standard
TC stuff. With this configuration, one resonator mirrors the other.
Yes, it really does work, and it works best when:

- there is no other coupling to the free resonator, and,
- there is no connection to ground. The balance can be got pretty good
but never equal because you have to compensate for the primary
coupling an impedance into the driven resonator (gap conducting).
I consistently got 20 - 25% extra attached spark length with twins
than I did running a single resonator at the same power level. The
twin system ran as smoothly as a single resonator system.

    Using one primary has advantages in that you only have one set of
wiring (simpler) and one set of losses in the overall primary system.
The disadvantage is that the resonator imbalance causes the base of
the driven resonator to be at some elevated potential (small) with
respect to ground.

Malcolm