[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Grid Dip Oscillator

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 30, 1997 1:55 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Grid Dip Oscillator

Perhaps I ought to clarify what I was trying to say as it appears to
have been misconstrued in several quarters....

> > Not really. You have to get too close to the secondary coil to use
> > the thing and that seriously affects frequency.
>
> Not so, Malcolm! The grid dip meter was a very effective instrument to tune
> tank circuits with, the trick was learning how not to over couple to the
> meter. When loosely coupled to a coil a dip meter has no noticeable effect
> on the coils resonant frequency.

All the GDOs I've ever used are hand held beasts. The point I was
attempting to make was that in using one, *you* have to get
physically close to the coil and as we all know, that certainly *does*
alter the coil's characteristics markedly. Having said that, perhaps
there are GDOs one can operate remotely ???

Malcolm