[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: how to spin metal

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 29, 1997 5:17 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: how to spin metal

On Saturday, November 29, 1997 7:50 PM D.C. Cox
[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net] wrote;

> Unless you are a true glutton for self punishment --- don't try your own
> spinning.  It makes about as much sense as trying to build your own tires
> for your car.

Not hardly! It is one hell of a lot more difficult to make a tire than to
spin a toroid or a two piece sphere!

> Experience speaks here -- we picked up a spinning machine and spent nearly
> 7 months perfecting the technique --- and it's far from perfect at this time.

Did anyone have any formal training in metal spinning? I was spinning two
piece spheres when I was in my early teens, but I was instructed by an old
timer that did it all his life.

> After spinning there is the the precision welding required and the final sanding.

Now I know you guys didn't know what you were doing! There is NO reason to
weld a toroid if properly spun. The seam is rolled into itself and is
barely visable. If you needed to sand the finished toroid you DIDN'T use
enough lubrication while spinning. For Aluminum or copper you should use a
lot of tallow or soap to lubricate your tools and then you get an almost
mirror finish just from the spinning, actually it looks like a wire brushed
finish.

> It is very very difficult and is probably hands down the hardest thing to
> try to do if you are a self coil builder.

There I would probably agree with the possible exception of someone
machining a rotory spark gap then we have a close second. If anyone really
want's to spin their own spheres or toroids I recomend they go to a local
shop and work there part time untill they gain enough experience to do a
proficient job. I have read just about every bok on the subject written in
the past 100 years and NONE of the books give adaquite instructions to do
your own spinning, proficiently.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/