[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which oils..Capacitor oils

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 29, 1997 5:17 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Which oils..Capacitor oils

On Friday, November 28, 1997 1:22 AM Barry Benson
[SMTP:Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil] wrote;

> Hi Alfred, All,
>      Would boiling the oil under reduced pressure dry it out?

You mean like in fractional distilation? Yes it would work BUT it's an
expensive way to do it! It would be much cheaper to use anhydrous sodium
sulfite. The general principle in fractional distilation is that if you
have two substances with very close boiling points, you can increase the
difference between the two boiling points by using a reduced pressure.
In so far as water and mineral already have rather widely differing boiling
points, I would assume your idea would be to lower the mineral oils boiling
point to a safer temperature. The expense comes in the necessary vacuum
apparatus including the condensation traps to keep the vapors out of the
vacuum system. If you work in a lab that already has fractional distilation
equipment I would say go for it otherwise go buy some anhydrous sodium
sulfite. Oh I just remembered there is another expensive way to get the
water out it's called liaphilasation (Sp.?) otherwise know as freeze
drying, there you use a vacuum and chill the material so that the water
freeze out.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/