[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: herbach and redman

From: 	Jim Lux[SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 27, 1997 10:07 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: herbach and redman

> Can I do this setup with two transformers rather than four or should I
> buy two more?
>  I had thought of doing that when I realized what the tertiary  windings
> were doing, but
> wasn't sure that it was possible.

You can hook up two transformers either as a grounded centertap
configuration, giving you about 9kV (RMS) at 400 mA short circuit current,
or you can hook them up in cascade, using the tertiary windings, to get a
9kV, 200 mA transformer with one side grounded.

By the way, you can't run 220 Volts into these units and get twice the
voltage out. Not only does the insulation start to fail (although I haven't
tried running them in a bucket of oil, yet), but the core saturates at a
primary voltage around 160 Volts. After that, the transformer just starts
getting hotter, but the output doesn't rise.