[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor Quality Factors

From: 	D.C. Cox[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, November 28, 1997 12:54 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Capacitor Quality Factors

to: Fr. Tom

The biggest factor effecting cap Q quality here is the choice of materials.
 Aluminum is commonly used because it is widely available and cheap.
Copper is the best choice and works much better than alum. at these low RF
frequencies but copper is more expensive and usually not worth the trouble.
 Good design with alum. will give you a very acceptable Q factor.  Most
builders destroy the Q factor in their rotary spark gap designs and
interconnecting wires.  Use only copper like welding cable and use only
brass (never steel or alum) in the RSG design.  People do break these rules
but it really hurts their peak current levels.  With the large plate
surface area cap Q factor is usually so high that it is not an important
design parameter unless you are running peak currents of 3,000 amps or
higher (cap values of 0.1 or higher typically).

90 mils is .090 inches and is good up to 12 kv operating.  60 mils (.060")
works best at 7-10 kv and 120 mils is usually preferred at 15 kv.  Again as
you suggested, keep total design values to less than 9 kv per sheet (never
exceed operating value) to prevent undesireable dielectric to plate loss
interactions.

Hope this helps out.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>