[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which oils..Capacitor oils

From: 	Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil[SMTP:Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil]
Sent: 	Friday, November 28, 1997 1:22 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Which oils..Capacitor oils

Hi Alfred, All,
     Would boiling the oil under reduced pressure dry it out?

                         Barry

 ----------
From: "tesla"-at-pupman-dot-com-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
To: Benson Barry; "tesla"-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
Subject: Re: Which oils..Capacitor oils
Date: Thursday, November 27, 1997 11:43PM

<<File Attachment: 00000000.TXT>>

From:     Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent:     Thursday, November 27, 1997 10:42 AM
To:  Tesla List

On Thursday, November 27, 1997 2:07 AM Bert Hickman
[SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com] wrote;

> Matt,
>
> Preferably go with either the Shell or Mobil Transformer Oils, since
> they have undergone refining steps which make them better suited for
> high voltage applications. For use a cap oil, an oxidation inhibitor is
> not necessary or desirable - use the uninhibited variety.

I have always found it interesting that the so-called transformer oils all
have poorer dielectric charasteristics than USP mineral oil!

> Now, while the oil companies won't recommend, or guarantee, that their USP
> (or equivalent) grade of mineral oil will work as a dielectric oil, in
> reality, it will. However, it MAY not be as "dry" as transformer oil,
> and thus may not have a high a breakdown voltage.

My experience has been that USP mineral oil always has a higher dielectric
strength than any transformer oils! If your concerned about water in the
mineral oil use a simple procedure that's used all the time in organic
chemistry labs, add some sodium sulfite anhydrous to the mineral oil and
stir it in well then let it set a couple of days so the hydrated sodium
sulfite can settle to the bottom then decant off the clear oil leaving
behind a small amount of oil with the hydrated sodium sulfite.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/

¿