[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Test Cap, dry/oil

From: 	gweaver[SMTP:gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 27, 1997 10:16 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Test Cap, dry/oil

I made a test capacitor.  Metal plates are 5" x 12" aluminum foil.  6 layers
of 6" x 13" poly .006 mil.  I put a #24 copper wire on each metal plate and
rolled up the cap.  Wrapped it with 2 turns of masking tape to hold it together.
The finished cap measures about 1.125" dia x 6" long.  It measures .00129
uf. on my meter.

I connected the dry cap to a 6K 20 ma furnace ignition transformer and a
tiny TC.  The output sparks are 3" but not very hot.  After 2 minutes of run
time the cap started getting warm.  I placed the cap in a small container
and poured oil over it.  The TC sparks are still 3" long but the discharge
sparks are now much hotter.

I have been thinking about making a dry poly rolled cap for a small portable
desk top TC and did this test to see the results of a dry cap on the TC.
The oil makes a big inprovement in the discharge sparks.  The discharge
sparks did not get any longer but the power output appears to be about
double.  Much thicker and hotter sparks.

Gary Weaver