[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Best Secondary Surface coating

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 27, 1997 10:42 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Best Secondary Surface coating

On Wednesday, November 19, 1997 2:03 AM Chip Atkinson
[SMTP:chip-at-XiG-dot-com] wrote;

> I have used the Supergloss Build 50 and had pretty good results.  However,
> there are two things to keep in mind.  First is that you need to keep the
> coil form turning while the stuff dries, about 4 hours in the summer
> (don't try it in the winter cold, it will take way way too long).

Almost all the Home Building centers cary Infra red light bulbs, they
are 250 watt and if put in a clamp on utility reflector and held a couple
of feet away from the coil will enable the Build 50 to properly dry even
on a sub-zero day!

> Second is that the rate of thermal expansion and contraction is different
> than the PVC and copper of the form and winding.  It's no problem in
> general, but if you get a cold snap, you should bring your coated secondary
> indoors. I had the coating on a coil crack all over when the temperature in
> the garage reached 0F or lower (-18C).

Some wood workers add a little tung oil to Build 50 to prevent it from
getting soo brittle, I just don't know what the tung oil would do to the
Build 50's dielectric characteristics.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/