[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which oils..Capacitor oils

From: 	Bert Hickman[SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Reply To: 	bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com
Sent: 	Thursday, November 27, 1997 2:07 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Which oils..Capacitor oils

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Matt,

Preferably go with either the Shell or Mobil Transformer Oils, since
they have undergone refining steps which make them better suited for
high voltage applications. For use a cap oil, an oxidation inhibitor is
not necessary or desirable - use the uninhibited variety. Now, while the
oil companies won't recommend, or guarantee, that their USP (or
equivalent) grade of mineral oil will work as a dielectric oil, in
reality, it will. However, it MAY not be as "dry" as transformer oil,
and thus may not have a high a breakdown voltage. Many coilers in the US
have used veterinary grade white mineral oil (animal laxative) in their
caps with good success. Transformer oil viscosity is typically in the
100+ centistokes area at room temperature - sounds like the 124 cST
variety would be about right. I don't know about Whiterex, but if it is
pure enough to be used as a laxative in either animals or humans it
should work OK in your caps.

Safe cappin' to you, Matt!

-- Bert --