[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: primary and secondary diameters

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 26, 1997 7:22 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: primary and secondary diameters

<< Hi all,

 I am working on building my first coil and I have found information
 that has stated that the primary should be twice the diameter of the
 secondary and others state 3 times the diameter.  Which works best?
 I was planning on using heavy guage wire #8 or so, how much difference
 does it make between air wound and bundled?

 Thanks,

 Chris

Chris,

The primaries on my coils are much larger than 2 or 3 times the diameter of
the secondary.  One coil uses a 3.0" dia. secondary that is 13" high.  The
primary for this coil is 16" in dia. made from #10 solid copper wire wound
with .35" spacing between turns.  The larger coil secondary is 6.0" dia. and
28" high.  The primary for this coil is 28" in diameter wound with .375" dia
copper tubing with .375" spacing between turns.  Both primaries are 14 turns.
 I would recommend a flat spiral primary wound on a plastic form that
inclines at maybe 10 or 20 degrees.  This allows room to come up under the
outside few turns to get the tap lead in.  Even then it is best to allow open
spaces in the bottom of the primary plastic form to allow easy access from
underneath.

I don't know what you mean by bundled.

Ed Sonderman