[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measuring Coupling Coefficients

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 26, 1997 1:40 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Measuring Coupling Coefficients

Hi Terry,

My way of doing it (and leaving the secondary behaving as a
resonator): (this method assumes pri tuned to sec independently and
the resonator grounded as usual)

     Short the gap and connect a signal generator across the primary
cap with a resistor of 10k or so in series with the "hot" lead from
the generator. Monitor the secondary with a scope and an aerial wire
dangling several feet away. As you tune the generator, you will hit
two peaks in the system response with a null between them. The null
corresponds to the centre frequency of the system. Note that
frequency, then note the frequencies of the two peaks. To an
approximation, k = (Fhi-Flo)/Fnull

If you only get a single peak at the system frequency, your coupling
isn't nearly tight enough to produce sparks.
    If you want more bang for buck (pretty hard on the primary
components), you can try tapping in more primary inductance. You will
notice when you do the frequency sweep that the lower peak is
enhanced at the expense of the upper. This is known as offset tuning.
With a static gap system, this causes more erratic operation but the
sparks are longer. It is probably better suited to a sync RSG.

Malcolm