[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Grid Dip Oscillator

From: 	Edward V. Phillips[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: 	Monday, November 24, 1997 2:25 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Grid Dip Oscillator

"The book, "Radio Instruments and Measurements", Circular C74, National
Bureau of Standards, edition of 1924, reprinted 1937 used to be
available from the U.S. Government Printing Office. You should be able
to get it from your local library. It contains most of the equations,
practices, and techniques used in the design and measurement at the
frequencies employed by Tesla.  To quote "The most generally useful
masuring instrument at radio frequencies is the wave meter.""

	Totally agree.  Wasn't aware that C74 was reprinted that
late.  I have two of the original versions which I treasure a
great deal.  A most valuable source of formulae for just about
everything having to do with capacitance, inductance, and mutual
inductance.  The earlier material covering radio practice in the
spark just going on tube radio days would be of great use to the
average coiler.  By the way, George Southworth, who was the main
author of the original edition, went on to spend at least 50
years in the business, and was one of the pioneers on work with
waveguides during the 1930's.  Even ran experiments with WG
in a swimming pool, to lower the operating frequency to fit
the RF sources he had available.

Ed