[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- KV's and multimeters

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 22, 1997 5:13 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- KV's and multimeters

        Have you been a bad little boy?   Not playing the way
        you were told?  No wonder you are losing your toys --
        that's what happens when you don't play nicely:

        -- If you absolutely must use solid-state circuitry for
                Tesla work, then stick with  =high voltage=
                discrete semiconductors.

        -- 5-volt and 12-volt TTL and CMOS  (especially CMOS!)
                integrated circuits cannot be relied-upon to
                stand the gaff of Tesla voltages, harmonics,
                transients, reverse-polarity spikes, etc.

                                - - - - - -

        If reason will not persuade you ...

        -- Protect everything with reverse-biased snubber diodes.
                Twice.  (and don't stint on those diode ratings!)

        -- Be double-damn dead-dog certain -- that the power supply
                for the semiconductors is as isolated as it
                possible can be from the power supply which
                feeds the coil primary.

        -- And be just as sure that your grounds are as reliable
                as gravity -- rf ground and dc ground, both.

        Now, be a good boy -- go to your room -- and make a  =nice=
        Tesla coil.
                                          Still preferring vacuum
                                          tubes, in -- Detroit, USA

                                          Robert Michaels