[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

555 driven ignition coils

From: 	Bill Noble[SMTP:william_b_noble-at-email.msn-dot-com]
Sent: 	Friday, November 21, 1997 11:27 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	555 driven ignition coils

years ago I made a Capacitor Discharge ignition for my 56 porsche - it used
an aircraft transformer to step the 6VDC up to about 450 V - I used that
through a diode bridge to charge a 1UF capacitor, and then discharged the
capacitor through an SCR to fire the coil - pair of 3055 type transistors
for the oscillator - I drove it at first with a 555, but found that letting
it self oscillate worked better (I can scan and post a schematic somewhere
if wanted) - anyway, the point here is about ignition coils - the input
voltage is not the 6 oer 12 VDC, rather it's the voltage that develops
across the primary when the points open - that's typically 200 to 250 V.
With the circiut I made, the spark would jump from the HV terminal to ground
consistantly if I pulled the HV lead out and cranked the motor - that's a
spark length of a couple of inches.  (and the car ran better).  This same
approach might be useful for a battery powered tesla coil.