[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- Cap Confusion

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, November 21, 1997 12:30 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: RE-  Cap Confusion

At 03:17 PM 11/19/97 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

  Andrew -

  The kilowatt hour  energy consumption is the true amount of electric
energy you are using regardless of your power factor. If you have a power
factor below 100% the reactive wattage is a circulating wattage that you do
not use. It does create losses and this is covered by a fixed amount per KHW
that you pay regardless of your power factor between 80% and 100%.   With
this method of metering and billing the electric company saves the cost of
using more expensive metering for each of its customers.

  If you are a big user of electricity and the pf is below 80% the electric
company will add extra metering to charge you for the low pf.

  John Couture