[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: new secondary problems

From: 	Chip Atkinson[SMTP:chip-at-XiG-dot-com]
Reply To: 	Chip Atkinson
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 19, 1997 9:05 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: new secondary problems

Welcome to coiling! :-)

Here's my theory:  The insulation of the wire gets charged up during
operation.  The wire is one plate of a capacitor, the insulation is the
dielectric, and, unfortunately, you are the other plate.  When you touch
the secondary, you collect the static charge on the dielectric, just like
the plate of a capacitory.

I believe that the large DC component in TC operation that Richard Hull
explored is what charges the thing.  It's quite a pleasure to grab a
charged secondary with both hands and get a jolt through the chest.
Ahh... makes you appreciate life. :-)

So, how do you fix the problem?  I fix it by wiping the coil form with a
flexible grounded wire.  You don't have to wipe every square millimeter,
just a cursory wiping seems to work fine for me.  You can experiment and
find how much/little wiping it needs.

Chip

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Chip Atkinson; Xi Graphics 1801 Broadway, Denver CO 80202
(303)298-7478voice (303)298-1406fax (800)946-7433sales