[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV Transformers in the UK

From: 	Steve Rodway[SMTP:Legion-at-bigfoot-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, November 17, 1997 9:57 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	HV Transformers in the UK

About 3 weeks ago I put out a request for help in getting an HV
transformer in the UK, I had several helpfull responses so I thought I
should summerise my reasearch to the list:-

Neon / oil furnace transformers.
	These are quite easy to obtain, but getting unit with ratings exceeding
about 7.5Kv at 50mA is difficult, typical prices are around 70 to 100
pounds.

Mircowave transformers
	Difficult to buy new, but easy to salvage from old mircowaves, they do
have voltages which are rather low for Tesla coil work, but thier high
output current can be useful, expect to pay around 50 pounds for an old
microwave

X-ray transformers
	UK laws make it virtually impossible to get these

Electro-static air cleaner transformers
	Was unable to get any info here

Custom wound.
	It is quite possible to have a transformer custom wound for you, but
horendously expensive, I was quoted 450 pounds for a 12.5Kv 150mA unit,
and since these types have almost no overvoltage tolerance, they are
very easy to blow.

Pole Pigs
	There are 2 sources of pole pigs in the UK, many industrial suppliers
sell refurbished pole pig for around 100 pounds each, NB do not ask for
"pole pigs" they won't understand what you mean, ask for "single phase
distribution transformers".
	The second source is from power distribution companies, they routinely
throw out 5,10 and 16KVA units as scap, so if you ask they can be
obtained for next to nothing.
	I found most supply companies wanted nothing to do with a mad coiler,
but Eastern Electricity were only to happy to help and gave me a 16KVA
11Kv transformer and 3 gallons of oil for free.
	One final note on pole pigs, they are very heavy (100-250Kg) so take
along some muscular help.

		any coments/corrections/additions anyone?
--
*Stephen Rodway             Legion-at-Bigfoot-dot-com *Heisenberg:We are not
sure*