[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sulfur Hexafluoride

From: 	Thornton, Russ #CSR2000[SMTP:ThorntoR-at-rc.pafb.af.mil]
Sent: 	Monday, November 17, 1997 9:40 AM
To: 	'Tesla discussion Group'
Subject: 	RE: Sulfur Hexafluoride

SF6 is used here under low pressure to increase breakdown voltage in
waveguides.  It is fairly inert in it's native state but if it is
exposed to an arc it creates a poisonous gas.  Phosgene, if I remember
right.  One of the chemists on the list will correct me. Also there is a
powdery mess left over that has to be cleaned up before future
operations. The applications to TC work is probably limited.