[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Safety Gap

From: 	Vivian[SMTP:V.C.Watts-at-btinternet-dot-com]
Reply To: 	Vivian
Sent: 	Saturday, November 15, 1997 4:14 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Safety Gap

Snip
>The safety gap for your neon's should actually consist of two smaller
>gaps - each going to a center RF ground, which is also tied to the case
>of the transformer(s).
>
>Safe coilin' to you!
>
>-- Bert --

Thanks Bert for inf..  From what I can make from your ASCII diagram
it looks as if you have the centre tap of the neon secondary grounded
or is this just the neon case?  My transformer has a secondary centre
tap and associated earth lug (mains earth)  which I have deliberately
removed.

Yes I have matched the capacitor to the neon for Max power transfer.
I was also wondering that if I only run the coil for a minute or so
at time if I could use a larger capacitor.   The neon is a 10,000Kv 50ma.
This give a source impedance of 200000 Ohms and at 50Hz a
capacitor of 15nF.  But the transformers DC resistance if only 5.6K.
The inductance is greater than 20H (off the scale on meter).

I could try and see what the regulation is by running it with a lower
input voltage and loading the output.  Is this at all feasible or
am I trying my luck and should be thankful it works well now?

Thanks again for help
Viv Watts UK.