[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: T-coil discharge

From:	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:	Thursday, November 13, 1997 1:25 PM
To:	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:	Re: T-coil discharge

<< Kevin---

 I read with interest, your description of the discharge from your coil
 sometimes forming a long slowly moving single tendril.  I once built
 a small coil (back about 1962) that used a 9 KV 30 ma. neon xformer
 with two 0.01 mfd 8 KV mica caps in series connection with a 6 segment
 stationary series gap.  The Tesla primary was 12 gauge wire in the

-snip-

Bill,

I have not seen this on either of my coils when using a toroid for the
discharge terminal.  I have set a 6" dia aluminum foil covered styrofoam ball
on the center of the toroid on the small 3.5" dia coil.  It sits up about 3"
on a metal support right in the center of the toroid.  When first powered up,
the discharges will wander around on the ball but after maybe 10 to 15
seconds will finally start going straight up for maybe 16 to 18 inches with
only short branches at the top.  It is interesting to watch.  I think the
rising heat and no air movement (running in the basement) has something to do
with it.  I would like to see this on my large coil - something that can put
out 5 to 6 foot discharges, but I can only run that coil outside and have not
tried it.

Ed Sonderman