[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Science Fair Project

From:	Scott Stephens [SMTP:stephens-at-enteract-dot-com]
Sent:	Thursday, November 13, 1997 9:55 AM
To:	Tesla List
Subject:	Re: Science Fair Project

At 08:26 AM 11/12/97 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]

How much power can you get out of a car coil?

>>  Being 13, your biggest problems will probably be
>>with money.

realy?

>Budget:  $40-$50 + shipping for about 5lb of secondary magnet wire.

Nope. Go find an old TV  and tear out the yoke, old microwave oven & unwrap
the 2ndary, or other >50W transformer with 24 - 26 gauge wire. You may break
it a few times, but you can solder it back. Just cover with poly-urothane

American science & surplus also sells electromagnet. I got a pound of #26
for .75 cents! They also have motors & transformers. If you have more time
than money.

>Budget:     $12 for a 4" diameter by 10 foot PVC pipe

Why not use 2 or 3 liter coke bottles joined together? A lot thiner, less
dielectric loss!

>            $4-$5 for a brush

No, use your t-shirt.

>            $1-$2 for 4" PVC endcap

No, coke bottles have round bottoms. Just use hot water to melt the adhesive
& pull the black plastic bottom off. WD-40 removes the adhesive used to glue
the thin plastic lable on.

>            $9 4" by 8 foot aluminum ducting for toroid

No, $1 for a 2 feet of 3/4" copper pipe.

>            $2-$5 assorted nuts, bolts and other fasteners

For beer & video's to watch while you wind the ^&%$&$% coil.

>Optional:   $8-$12 50ft 1/4" copper refridge tubing, for a nice primary.

How bout an old appliance power cord?

>>You may also have
>>trouble getting neon sign transformers because of sign companies being
>>afraid of giving/selling a transformer to someone your age.

Don't people that age own everything not bolted down?