[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: solid state coil problem

From:	Harri Suomalainen [SMTP:haba-at-cc.hut.fi]
Sent:	Wednesday, November 12, 1997 1:35 PM
To:	Tesla List
Subject:	Re: solid state coil problem

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Tesla List wrote:
> 222khz. The inductance from each leg to the center tap is 135uH. The
> signal generator is a SG3525A pulse width modulator. And the driver is
> an SG3626R dual high speed driver.
>   Does any one know how to limit the current to the output transformer?
> I was thinking that maybe you could use another inductor of much higher
> value in series with the transformer to limit current?

Sounds like a saturating transformer. Check/add pulse-by-pulse current
limiting shutting the conducting fet off immediately as the current is
too high. A push-pull system *will* saturate without proper current
balancing system!

The transformer magnetizing inductance of 135uH would mean
XL=170ohms at 200kHz. Too heavy magnetizing current is therefore
certainly out.
--
See "Malin Tunic: Chemistry of structure - function references in cheese" for
further details!