[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Toroid Design Features

From:	Robert Michaels [SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent:	Tuesday, November 11, 1997 4:03 AM
To:	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:	RE- Toroid Design Features

        Yikes!  Some of you people -- It's a wonder you don't want
        to make your own copper wire!

        Torouses are an article of commerce.  Wide variety of sizes.
        Brushed aluminum.  Mirror-finish aluminum.  Stainless steel.
        Copper.  Brass.  Other metals available.

        Information Unlimited -- which advertises regularly in "Pop-
        ular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" has some smaller ones
        at reasonable prices.

        Ross definitely sells them

        Hipotronics -- where I got mine, may still have them.

        Spellman High Voltage and High Voltage Technology may also
        offer them for sale.  All of these firms use them in their
        own products so they must have a source and most likely
        sell replacement parts.

        A commercial torous costs no more than a few days pay if it
        is not overly large.  It will perform wonderfully.  It will
        looks absolutely super -- impressive even before the
        power is turned on.  It will last  =forever=  in "home" use.
        The money is only something you would  spend anyway --
        likely on some foolish non-Tesla thing (such as food,
        clothing, or rent).

                                - - - - - - -

        Okay -- can we now all get back to actual Tesla-coiling??
        And will someone please post something that will gruntle me?

                                                Disgruntled (again),
                                                in --- Detroit, USA

                                                Robert Michaels

        Information Unlimited - see magazines

        Ross Engineering, Campbell, CA --        (800) 654 - 3205

        Spellman High Voltage - Plainview, NY -- (516) 349 - 8686

        Hipotronics - Brewster, NY --            (800) 315 - 9507

        High Voltage Technology - Yonkers, NY -- (800) 285 - 4981

TL>From:  Kristian Ukkonen[SMTP:kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi]
TL>Subject:  Re: Toroid Design Features

TL>On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Tesla List wrote:

TL>> From:  Alfred C. Erpel[SMTP:aerpel-at-op-dot-net]
TL>> CC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
TL>> I'm in the process of deciding on how to prioritize coil improvements for
TL>> the next few winter months.  Near the top of the list is the toroid.  I am
TL>> going to get pricing for a spun aluminum toroid and that is where a questi
TL>> pop's up right away.
TL>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<CC
TL>>
TL>>     Your biggest cost having this part spun will be the tooling that it is
TL>> spun on ($1200 ?). I have been wondering about a faceted toroid.  Break th

TL>As aluminium & stainless steel toroids are commonly used in centrifuges
TL>there HAS TO be a company that manufactures these and thus has the
TL>"tooling" ready. I've found some centrifuges from "junk yards" and have
TL>saved the toroids - the biggest ones are about 60cm diameter. They were
TL>used as the shields around the ribs that hold the jugs being rotated 10+
TL>krpm..

TL>So, I'd start calling to companies selling centrifuges to locate the
TL>manufacturers.. Or perhaps ask for the price of a replacement shield - I'm

[ ... ]