[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spark shape observation

From:	Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:	Wednesday, November 12, 1997 3:18 AM
To:	Tesla List
Subject:	Re: spark shape observation

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Kevin,

This is characteristic of a spherical TC terminal. Under the right
(still air) circumstances, the heating of the air due to the streamer
discharge creates a consistently weakenned/ionized path that stays in
one place for a considerable period of time. Since the hottest portion
of the streamer is at the base of the streamer, the hot, ionized air
rises, making the path immediately above more conductive. This path can
remain stable for a relatively long time, in the process creating a
longer than usual total discharge length as well.  Nice observation!

Safe coilin' to you, Kevin!

-- Bert --