[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Jennings HV Vacuum Relay Data

From:	richard hull [SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent:	Tuesday, November 11, 1997 9:01 PM
To:	Tesla List
Subject:	Re: Jennings HV Vacuum Relay Data

At 10:35 PM 11/10/97 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]

Big vacuum power contactors are no good for Larger Tesla systems at all.
The heat transfer is lousey and they are not very stable over time the way
an air gap is.  The big giant vacuum contactors are laying about in our
scrap yard by the ton!  We had an initial love affair with them, but the
honeymoon was over quickly.  One must remember that in normal operation they
are used for one commutation per year if that!!!  Several hundred
commutations per second is a real no no and just a bit outside their spec.

They will work on real small systems under 1 KW, but are finicky and usually
weigh more that the coil.

Richard Hull, TCBOR