[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Coil Confusion

From: 	Chip Atkinson[SMTP:chip-at-XiG-dot-com]
Reply To: 	Chip Atkinson
Sent: 	Monday, November 10, 1997 3:01 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: First Coil Confusion

Alex,

I have a schematic diagram on my web site that may answere a lot of your
questions.  Go to http://www.pupman-dot-com and check out the "How-to's and
other construction info" in the links part of the main page.  From there,
click on index.  Click on the circuit.gif and circuit.txt links.  That
should help you a bit.

To explain, the HV transformer should be connected in parallel with the
capacitor, and does indeed charge, discharge, and reverse charge the cap,
if the rest of the circuit is *not* running.  The primary circuit consists
of two parts connected together.  The first part is the high voltage
charging component, and the second part is the tank circuit.  The tank
circuit consists of the primary coil, spark gap, and capacitor.  This
capacitor needs to be charged before you can discharge it into the tank
circuit.  (The term "tank" refers to the capacitor, which is an electron
tank that dumps all the electricity into the primary coil (loosely
speaking)).

The secondary coil is not physically connected to the primary circuit.  It
sits nestled in the middle of the primary coil and gets the energy from
the electromagnetic fields created by the primary coil.  The base of the
secondary coil is grounded, but not to the house ground.  I suggest a
dedicated RF ground that is separate from the house or water pipes.

Do you know about tuning, and how to tune the primary circuit?  Where do
you live?  One of the best ways to increase your knowledge is to talk with
someone who has done coiling.  Perhaps you can go over and visit them, or
talk them into coming over.

Chip

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Chip Atkinson; Xi Graphics 1801 Broadway, Denver CO 80202
(303)298-7478voice (303)298-1406fax (800)946-7433sales