[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid Design Features

From: 	Kristian Ukkonen[SMTP:kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 09, 1997 7:01 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Toroid Design Features

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> From: 	Alfred C. Erpel[SMTP:aerpel-at-op-dot-net]
> CC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> I'm in the process of deciding on how to prioritize coil improvements for
> the next few winter months.  Near the top of the list is the toroid.  I am
> going to get pricing for a spun aluminum toroid and that is where a question
> pop's up right away.
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<CC
>
>     Your biggest cost having this part spun will be the tooling that it is
> spun on ($1200 ?). I have been wondering about a faceted toroid.  Break the

As aluminium & stainless steel toroids are commonly used in centrifuges
there HAS TO be a company that manufactures these and thus has the
"tooling" ready. I've found some centrifuges from "junk yards" and have
saved the toroids - the biggest ones are about 60cm diameter. They were
used as the shields around the ribs that hold the jugs being rotated 10+
krpm..

So, I'd start calling to companies selling centrifuges to locate the
manufacturers.. Or perhaps ask for the price of a replacement shield - I'm
quite certain there has to be a supply for replacements in case of a loose
jug destroying the old shield.. No sense in replacing the whole
centrifuge after the first accident..

These toroids that I've got are not perfect toroids (of course not)  but
similar enough. After I acquire a digital camera I'll take pics of them to
nic. They had really nice 10kg aluminium ribs inside them and one can take
the upper part of the toroid off to load/unload the jungs - and
disassemble the rig-thing for TC use. :)

Good luck on finding a cheap source for toroids,

  Kristian Ukkonen.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law |