[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid Design Features

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 09, 1997 3:52 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Toroid Design Features

Hi Chuck,
             A year or two back I talked with a couple of local
spinners about making toroids. t seems the big cost is in making up
the formers around which the metal is spun. They shape them out of
wood before doing the actual spinning. The prices convinced me that
there had to be a better way. I now just glue foam blocks together,
shape them with a serated knife, smooth them with sandpaper, then
apply Al foil with contact adhesive finally smoothing the crinkles
down by rolling the article around on a hard surface. I don't bother
about cutting out the inside which also helps with mounting them.

Malcolm