[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Another "dumb thought" -zener trick

From: 	bmack[SMTP:bmack-at-frontiernet-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 06, 1997 7:31 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Another "dumb thought" -zener trick

.>
>" Has anyone considered, for modeling and testing purposes, replacing
> their neon with a step-down transformer to, say, just a few volts and
> replacing the spark gap with a transistor switch synched to 60Hz?"
> >
> Russ Thornton

Russ

If you want  something really interesting with LV excitation,
try this....

Get a variable square wave generator with good p-p output capablity.
If it's too weak to use directly, put it though a solid state direct
coupled
amp.

Connect the generator through a small rf choke to two zeners wired
"back to back" to the primary.

GEN ------------////////----------->|----|<----------o
                    RFC              ZENERS          to TC primary

The gap drop can be simulated with the zeners acording to whim or
available equipment.

Adjusting the period of the generator will approximate different BPS
rates and their effects on the system.

If you don't have a generator handy,  I suppose a lv transformer would
work, but you're stuck with 120 BPS.

Have fun!!
Jim M