[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dump the RSG!

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 05, 1997 4:37 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Dump the RSG!

Hello Terry,

I don't plan on using them at anything like the continuous current
rating, even peak current will be well below this. di/dt and
operating frequency are inherent limitations here.  I certainly
wouldn't allow output discharges to connect with them.

>         You really need a voltage protection device across the
> SCRs.  We use
> very fast, high power, and very high frequency transorbs that may be an
> option but ours are custom and very expensive.  There are off the self
> devices that may work and be cheap (we buy the bare die and package them
> ourselves).  The bad part is that you may need some trial and error
> experimentaion to get it right.  During development of a RF power supply
> design, we went through $250,000 worth of parts in one month trying to
> getting it right.  In the end it worked out great but it's not for the faint
> of heart or wallet.

Needless to say I would not try to run these at full power to begin
with. A gentle ramp up in power to check operational parameters would
be mandatory.

> If you really want to play this game, let me know and I'll give you some
> tips on things not to do!

I'm planning to do it alright. The devices are completely useless for
anything other than doorstops if not passing some current. As I said,
I haven't been in a hurry to rush in before having a very careful
think about it. One doesn't throw a rare opportunity away.

Thanks,
Malcolm