[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark gap varients

From: 	Mike Harrison[SMTP:wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk]
Reply To: 	wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 05, 1997 10:29 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Spark gap varients

Although there's tons of info on building caps and coils on the net,
there seems to be a lot less on gaps (maybe there's nothing to say..?)
I have a few queries :
Is there a preferred electrode shape - pointy, flat or round ?
There are several references to using multiple gaps in series, and
using a fixed gap in series with an RSG, and also using the 2 sides of
an RSG as series gap pairs - what's the reason for multiple gaps?

I'm considering designing a motor controller for an RSG which can
phase-lock the gap to the mains cycle, with adjustable phasing - any
comments on whether this is worth doing ?

Anyone tried a linear reciprocating gap, using a solenoid ? - may be
easier to build than a rotary, and real easy to synchronise (i.e. run
the solenoid from AC), but would it move too slow? Perhaps you could
use the primary current spike when the gap fires, through a second
solenoid winding, to pull the gap apart rapidly,  to speed quenching.
I suspect the main problem would be keeping the mass low enough to
move fast but heavy enough not to melt!