[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Corum's could be right!!

From: 	terryf-at-verinet-dot-com[SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, November 03, 1997 5:50 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Corum's could be right!!

Hi Malcolm and All,

     I have been thinking about the Corum's theory.

     There may be two situations where the Corum's constant current theory
may indeed have some basis.

     If we assume, as the voltage rises toward the top of the secondary, the
space charge region created will require more and more current to charge.
 It may be possible that this needed additional current (energy?) would
distort the normal i=cos(x) current distribution in such a way as to tend to
even out the current along the secondary.  This would not explain their need
to have the secondary decouple from the primary as far as I can see.

     Maybe the following effect, if it does exist, is accounting for the
Corum's claims.  The resonant frequency of a secondary starts out at a very
high value and then the creation of the space charge region lowers Fo to
match the primary system and the coil may then resonate at the same
frequency as the primary system.  They may be on to something.  During the
initial arc, the Fo of the secondary would be very high and the secondary's
inductance would look more like a none resonant coil waiting to be charged.
 Resonance should not be possible.  At this instant  i= $ 1/L v/dt and that
may give a reasonably consistent current throughout the secondary coil.
 Only when the proper space charge capacitance is reached should the coil be
able to resonate at the Fo we expect.  Yes, they may have something there.
 It is all making  sense.  The old models would also show this if we assume
that the top space charge capacitance is a function of top voltage.  When
you place a toroid up there, the space charge capacitance is much more
stable and the coil should resonate much better.  This would match actual
results.  So, in short, Fo would start very high and then drop down and lock
onto the primary's Fo and then the system would resonate up as we would
expect.  Very very possible.

     This may be hard to measure because it may happen very quickly or get
lost in the noise.  I would think that the scope pictures would show a
higher frequency in the beginning and then the frequency would lock onto the
Fo frequency of the primary.  But much thought would have to go into
isolating or detecting this.  The primary frequency may hide this effect
from the measurements and that is why the Corums want to decouple the
secondary so much.  I would think the same effect may be observable as the
resonance dies out.  As the space charge region reduces, the frequency of
oscillation should rise!  If so that would support this theory very much.
 If you have scope pictures, give them a careful look and see if this is so.

     This would also suggest that non-linear coils that can control and
reduce spaces charge effects may have some very significant advantages :-)
 This is one of my pet projects.  Other optimizations should also be
possible knowing this effect. :-)

     Their models should be easy to reproduce and test.  I assume the
capacitors in their LC sections are dynamic and change value during the
discharge cycle.  They should probably be a function of instantaneous
voltage.  The inductors should decrease in value near the ends of the coil.
 (if they use constant values for L this may account for the current problem
at the top of the coil).  Their models may make sense if all this is really
happening.  I now must admit there may be something very significant here.
 It still could be all wrong but further study is justified.   I never have
added varying space charge to my models yet but this effect may show up.  I
have never considered the variance of Fo during space charge creation but I
now believe it may definitely be a factor.

Much to ponder.

     Terry