[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Furnace transformer

From: 	Jim Lux[SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, November 03, 1997 10:46 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Furnace transformer

> I'm kinda new around here, kinda building my first coil...  (no need to
say more I think uh? ;)  well I'm thinking of using an oil furnace
transformer to drive my primary but I think the transformer is not working
properly, it says it's rated at 10Kv/23ma.  10kv, sparks from the
transformer alone should be about how long?  right now they're about 1
millimeter long, shouldn't it be like half an inch long or so?

For uniform field: about 70 kV/Inch. If you had 2" spheres at your 10 kV,
the field would be pretty uniform for this purpose, and you would get a
spark about 1/7 inch (or 3-4 mm).  With a needle gap, you can expect 3
times the sphere gap distance, or in the 1/2 range. That is, until the
points of the needles melt back...

Also, it only puts out 10 kV at no-load, when you load it with a spark, the
voltage will drop.