[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: please help

From: 	Tabbal[SMTP:bigboss-at-inquo-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, October 31, 1997 3:12 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: please help

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Argh... Small caps indeed. In series that's .0016uF. Have you considered
building them? There are a number of good files on the tesla sites arround
the net about that. The parts are innexpensive and they perform well. Or
you could get some more of those caps and wire them in parallel with the
other bank you have. You'd need to do that a few times to make the
capacitance reasonable for the size of coil though. You're really close to
the safty margin on those caps too. 18kv with a 12kv AC input? I hope the
power rating on those caps is AC ... If it's DC you need to divide by 2 to
get the AC power handling ability. You will also want more power
availability due to the high powers in the tank circut.

You can buy caps to handle that. There are a few sites on the net that
carry them. They are very expensive though. And they take a while to get
usually. If you are in a hurry or want to keep the cost down build them.
There are some designs for rolled and flat stacked plate caps arround here
and they look like they would work well.

BTW: Do you have a safty gap on that neon? You may want to make sure you
protect it against kickback or you could blow it.

Good luck with the project... let us know how it goes. :)

  Travis Tabbal
bigboss-at-inquo-dot-net