[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer Failure

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Friday, October 31, 1997 3:44 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Transformer Failure

 snip
< but I was impatient to try the new sync gap and I was dissapointed by the
> results. (Happens occaisionally).  Thankfully the trannie only cost me
> $25.  But I don't want to blow anymore of them.  Thanks in advance.

> Kevin

Kevin,

Glad to hear you've successfully modified the motor, and sorry
to hear about the tranny.  This is learning by doing.

I've tried using an oil burner tranny with a sync-gap and resonant
charging (.007uF cap), and mine weakened, (maybe ready to blow
out), but gave a 25" spark.  I suggest visiting some
heating contractors and neon shops to try to get free or cheaper
trannies.   Never run the system phased so the rotary never fires
because
the voltage will build up resonantly over each half cycle until the
tranny or cap fails.  The whole idea of using a sync gap is to fire
at the peaks *every time* so the voltage can never build up too high.

John Freau