[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: bad coil

Subject:  RE: bad coil
  Date:  Sat, 31 May 97 04:15:53 UT
  From:  "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:  "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

some advice from one beginner to another:
1, tune the coil - move the outer tap to different turns.  to be
thourough,
start at about turn 2 or 3 and try every turn going towards the outer
edge
until you ifnd the one woth the largest spark from the secondary.  Then
try +
and - a half turn, then quarter turn to get the best tune.

2. your gap will heat up really quickly - a run of more than 10 or 15
sec will
overheat it, if my experience is a guide.  I have a simple gap of 7
pieces of
half inch copper pipe spaced at .020, and without air cooling it
overheats in
under 30 sec (output spark size starts decreasing).  Suggest more
thermal mass
in the gap.

3. I am told that glass capacitors are lossy.  suspect trying the first
2
above will get you a better output.  I get around 12 to 18 inches out of
.002 mfd capacitor, 15 KV neon, 4" X 16 inch secondary, using a aluminum
foil
covered toilet bowl float for top load.