[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Stealing power (was Tesla Coil on the News)

Subject:     Re: Stealing power (was Tesla Coil on the News)
      Date:  Fri, 30 May 1997 20:52:33 -0500
      From:  rickh-at-ghg-dot-net (Rick Holland)
        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> > About 10 years ago there was an artical in Popular Science about a guy
> >
> > getting power from power lines that crossed his property.
<SNIP>
> > the power company lost.

I heard the same story in electronics school back in '80, with the
exception that the man in question was the one who lost.
> > Sence he
> > has no direct wire connection to the power lines he is not stealing
> > power.

This is patently false. in order to pick up radiated energy with a coil,
you build waht is effectively the secondary of a standard transformer.
The giant lines crossing our country generally carry 72Kv at whatever
current is being demanded by the several cities being supplied by those
lines. A reasonably sized coil of double ought AWG placed on the ground
beneath one of these lines would act as the secondary of a transformer.
We all know that the secondary of a transformer reflects an impedance
into the primary, imposing a load on the primary, in effect, stealing
power from it. With the state of electronics today, of course the power
company can tell when a new load goes into effect. They have to in order
to balance loads and phasing.

--

     Rick Holland

     The Answer is 42.