[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help!!!!

Subject:      Re: Help!!!!
       Date:  Wed, 28 May 1997 22:37:08 -0700
       From:  Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
         To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  Help!!!!
>   Date:   Tue, 27 May 1997 07:29:32 -0700
>   From:   Richard <mackey-at-paclink-dot-com>
>     To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> Im a 12 year old boy that has read a load of books on Tesla, I want to
> build
> a coil and I cant find out what magnet wire is. I would love any help.
>         And are there any coilers in the Vancouver Washington area?

Richard,

Welcome to the Tesla List! Magnet wire is simply solid copper wire
insulated with a relatively thin coating of insulating material (this
used to be enamel, but is now typically a polymer (plastic) of some
type. Because the coating is thin, magnet wire can be wound very densely
so as to get the maximum number of turns in a given area or volume. This
is very important when making windings for transformers, motors or...
Tesla coils.

You can get magnet wire from Electronics dealers or from outfits that do
motor or transformer repair - check the Yellow Pages for your area.

Good luck and safe (future) coilin' to you!!

-- Bert H --